Celebrate 90+ years of Mickey Mouse with one of the most expansive illustrated publications on the Disney universe: behind-the-scenes shots, rare animation art, and vintage comics trace Mickey’s cartoons, his comic adventures, the world of Mickey merchandise and memorabilia, as well as the legendary Mickey Mouse Club.
Magic in the details...
- On November 18, 1928, the world's most famous Mouse made his very first public debut. Today, we celebrate 90+ years of Mickey in one of the most expansive illustrated publications on the Disney universe
- Starting with the first sketches of a character who was almost named Mortimer, we trace the career of Walt Disney's and Ub Iwerks's most famous creation, one met with an explosion of worldwide popularity
- With unlimited access to Disney's vast historical collections as well as public and private collections, the authors bring Mickey's success story to life
- Concept art, story sketches, background paintings, and animation drawings as well as historical photographs trace the origins and evolution of such timeless favourites as Steamboat Willie, The Band Concert, and Brave Little Tailor
- Extensive archival research sheds new light on little-known chapters of Mickey's career, the origins of the Mickey Mouse Club, and his use as a patriotic icon during World War II
- Along the way, we encounter the work of all major Mickey artists in both film and comics, including such greats as Ub Iwerks, Win Smith, Ferdinand Horvath, Fred Moore, Floyd Gottfredson, Carl Barks, Manuel Gonzales, Paul Murry, Romano Scarpa, Giorgio Cavazzano, Byron Erickson, and César Ferioli
- David Gerstein is an independent animation and comics historian, writer, and editor working extensively with The Walt Disney Company and its licensees. His published work includes Mickey and the Gang: Classic Stories in Verse, Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Don Rosa Library, the Eisner Award–winning Floyd Gottfredson Library of Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse, and numerous comic book titles. Gerstein has worked with Disney in efforts to locate lost Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Laugh-O-gram shorts and to preserve the Mickey Mouse newspaper strip.
- J. B. Kaufman is an author and film historian who has published and lectured extensively on Disney animation, American silent film history, and related topics. His books include The Fairest One of All: The Making of Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, South of the Border with Disney, and Pinocchio: The Making of the Disney Epic. He is also co-author, with Russell Merritt, of Walt Disney’s Silly Symphonies: A Companion to the Classic Cartoon Series and the award-winning Walt in Wonderland: The Silent Films of Walt Disney.
- Daniel Kothenschulte is an author, curator, and lecturer on film and art history, and a lover of animation since he first saw The Jungle Book at the age of three. As a film journalist, he is responsible for the film section in the German national daily newspaper Frankfurter Rundschau and a regular contributor to WDR Television. He has taught at various universities, including Städelschule in Frankfurt; the University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Dortmund; and the University of Television and Film Munich. He is the author of Hollywood in the ’30s and The Art of Pop Video, as well as books about Robert Redford, Fritz Lang’s Metropolis, and artist Mike Kelley.
The bare necessities
- 512 pages
- H21.5 x W15.5cm approx.
- Written by David Gerstein, J. B. Kaufman, Bob Iger, and Daniel Kothenschulte
- Published by Taschen
UK Standard Delivery: £3.95, FREE on orders over £50 (Within 5 working days*)
UK Express Delivery: £5.95 (Next working day* if ordered by 4pm)
UK Click & Collect: £2.95, FREE on orders over £50 (Within 5 working days*). Please see Click & Collect for details.
International Delivery: We deliver most items to a selection of countries. Please see International Delivery for details.
Disney Home Entertainment (Movies): £1, if your basket holds only Disney Home Entertainment (Movies).
*Selected postcodes may take additional time, please see Delivery Information for details.
For Delivery in the UK you will be notified of a 2 hour Delivery window. Please see here for details.
Returns: We offer up to 30 days return on most of our products, please see our Returns Policy for more information.
Free UK Standard Delivery on orders over £50
1)Get a Dumbo soft toy for £12.50 (usually £21) when you spend £10 or more. 2)Product item numbers are: 412311759414. 3)Available online at www.shopdisney.co.uk 4)Offer valid between 06.04.2021 to 09.05.2021 (inclusive) or until stocks last. 5) Discount will be applied at the checkout. 6) Items must be purchased in one transaction. 7) The Offer does not apply to purchases made before or after the Dates. 8) No purchase voucher can be given for this offer. 9) We reserve the right to terminate this offer at any time if Terms and Conditions of the offer are not fulfilled. 10)Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall be intended as precluding the exercise of your statutory rights. 11)Your participation shows that you have read and agreed with the terms and conditions of the offer. These terms and conditions are subject to English law.